Directorate of physical Education & sports
This Central University is growing in the field of Sports and Games and extends facilities to Students and Staff members. All the sports activities are conducted under the supervision of the University Sports Board with Vice Chancellor as Chairperson. The Directorate of Physical Education and Sports has been organizing various sports and games activities every year for the students of Pondicherry University and Affiliated Colleges including All India Inter-University Tournaments. Every day the Students and Staff members can use all the facilities available in the campus.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DIRECTORATE OF SPORTS
• To develop sportsmanship and healthy competitions among students. To encourage healthy lifestyle through participation in sports.
• To develop skills and techniques in a range of sporting activities.
• To develop understanding through sport.
• Promoting sport as a bearer of cultural identity and for the total personality
• Encouraging the broadest possible participation in sports
• To organize South Zone and All India Inter-University Tournaments in the recognized Games and Sports.
• University player’s participation in the All India and South Zone Inter-Universities Tournament organized by various University in all over India, Affiliated to Association of Indian University, New Delhi.
• Organizing National Level Pondicherry University Silver Jubilee Rolling Trophy.
• Celebrating National Sports Day on 29th August.
• Celebrating Teachers day on 5th September.
• Meeting of Directors/Directresses of Physical Education of Affiliated colleges.
• Meeting of Pondicherry University Sports Board.
• Organizing around 40 events (Games & Sports) in Inter Collegiate Tournaments (Men & Women) for the students of 90 Affiliated Colleges and University campus.
• Organizing Unispofest (Inter-Departmental Sports Meet) for the Pondicherry Campus students.
• Organizing Unispofest (Inter-Departmental Sports Meet) for the Karaikal campus students
• Organizing sports meet for the Pondicherry Campus staff(Teaching & Non-Teaching) • Workshop/Seminar/Coaching camps/ Fitness Programs, Aerobics, Karate etc.,
• Rajiv Gandhi Cricket stadium -grass play field with turf wickets
• Thiruvalluvar Sports stadium – 400m cinder track & field & multi purpose.
• Multi-sports complex for Tennis, Basketball & Volleyball play courts
• Multi-gym for men and women separately(fitness centre)
• Power lifting, Weight lifting & Body building (training lab)
• Football play fields – 3
• Hockey play fields – 3
• Volleyball courts – 5
• Tennis courts – 2
• Kabaddi courts – 2
• Kho-kho courts - 2
• Handball court – 2
• Basketball courts – 3
• Cricket play fields -3
• Cricket nets- 2
• Ball-Badminton courts – 2
• Badminton courts – 4(outdoor)
• Indoor hall -table tennis, chess & carom.
• Indoor hall-table tennis, chess & carom in all hostels
TEAM MEMBERS OF DIRECTORATE OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SPORTS
Dr. D. Sultana Director [i/c] ,
Physical Education and Sports
Dr. G. Sivaraman
Assistant Director .