Department of French
* Dr. NALINI J. THAMPI : Ph.D. (French) & M.Litt. (French) (with Distinction) from
EFLU, Hyderabad, & M.A. (French) & B.A. (French) — both with 1st Class, 1st Rank
& Gold Medal from University of Madras.
* Professor teaching French language, civilisation & Francophone literatures for 38
* Taught for 10 years in Hyderabad at Arts & Science College for Women of
Osmania University & EFLU, before joining PU in 1992.
* Collaborated in the Dictionnaire Français – Hindi of S. Sadasivan, the first
extensive French-Hindi Dictionary published by Orient Blackswan (2009).
* Academic & Administrative Experience :
Officiated as :
1) Vice-Chancellor (i/c) in stints (December 2017 – June 2018).
2) * 1st Woman Dean — School of Humanities, & one of the senior most Deans in
the PU academia (2016-2019).
* Chairperson of the Anti-Ragging Committee.
3) * Dean — Students Welfare (2011-2012).
* Chief Warden — Women’s Hostels (2002-2009).
4) * Professor & Head — Dept of French (2009-2012 & 2015-2018).
* Designed the syllabus of the UG & PG in French, and the M.A. (Intg.) (SEAL)
of PU & Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne University Dual Degree.
* B.O.S. Member at EFLU, HCU, CUSAT, Manipal University, Bharathiar University,
5) * Guided 150 M.A. Projects in Translation, 50 M.Phil. Dissertations.
* 15 Ph.D.s have been awarded under her guidance (including a foreign scholar).
* Ph.D. Examiner at DU, JNU, EFLU, CUSAT, Bangalore University, Grenoble
University, University of Paris-13 Sorbonne.
6) * Coordinator, SWAYAM-ARPIT French Studies MOOC.
* Deputy Coordinator — SAP Project of French Dept.
In the first French Dept in India to be granted the SAP, and to be designated
National Resource Centre for the French MOOC.
7) Launched Centre for Women’s Studies & Headed it (1999-2002).
8) Launched Centre for Foreign Languages & Headed it (2009-2013).
9) * Member of Academic Council, Executive Council, Court, & OLIC of
* Member of Selection Committee for Recruitment & CAS at DU, EFLU,
University of Madras, University of Lucknow, Visvabharati University, Bangalore
10) Nominee Chairperson, Advisory Committee, Kendriya Vidyalaya – 2,
11) * Coordinator — Study India Program (2016-2020).
* Got M.O.U.s signed with Université de Lyon 2, Université de Bordeaux 3,
Université de Panthéon-Sorbonne Paris 1 (all in France), Liège University in
Belgium, Ontario Universities, Zurich University, and the French Institute in
* As Coordinator of these M.O.U.s, organised a Translation & Interpretation
Workshop with Zurich University, & meticulously monitoring the PU students’ &
foreign students’ academic pursuit on M.O.U. exchange.
* Selection Jury Chairperson for the exchange students of the Dual Degree with
University of Paris 1.
12) * University Cultural Coordinator.
* President, Pondicherry University Film Club.