The university offers Ph.D. program in more than 30 disciplines in full time and part time (Internal/External) modes. Candidates are selected to Ph.D. program on the basis of Entrance Examination (70%), Academic Record and Interview (30%). Candidates who have qualified National Eligibility Test/JRF/UGC/CSIR or UGC Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship for SC/ST or DBT-INSPIRE are exempted from entrance examination. The entrance examination is conducted in the month of May. The result for Entrance examination is declared in the month of June each year and the interview schedule starts in the month of July.
Candidate can register for admission through the Online Admission Portal of the university by submitting an application fee of INR 600 (for general category) and INR 300 (for SC/ST category). The application fee for NRI and Overseas candidate is INR 6500 or US$ 100 which can be submitted through online or offline mode.
Ph.D. (Part Time) – Internal:
• Candidates working in College/ University departments and such other institutions recognized by Pondicherry University with at least two years of continuous teaching experience at degree and/ or post-graduate level in the subject concerned.
• Candidates teaching in Recognized Schools at the High School level/ Polytechnic Colleges situated within the jurisdiction of Pondicherry University and have at least 5 years of continuous teaching experience in the subject concerned.
• Non-teaching staff employed in a time scale of pay in this University and other affiliated research institutions provided that:
• The candidate has at least 7 years of work experience after obtaining a Master's Degree.
• Or the candidate has at least 5 years of work experience with M.Phil. in the subject concerned.
Ph.D. (Part Time) – External:
• Permanent academic staff of colleges/ universities/ other educational institutions of higher learning/ Research & Development Laboratories and Organizations with at least three years of continuous teaching/ research experience.
• Employees with a minimum of ten years of experience in Government, Local Bodies, recognized Institutes, Public Sector Undertakings, Non-Governmental Organizations.
• Technocrats, Scientists, Social Scientists & Scholars and Administrators with at least 10 years of experience in India or abroad.
Educational Qualifications (Ph.D. Full-time and Part-time)
• Candidates who have studied under 10+2+3+2 pattern of education (or 10+2+5) and qualified for the Master’s Degree in the subject concerned.
• Secured a minimum of 55% marks.
• Candidates of Indian origin or overseas students who have qualified for a Master’s Degree of an accredited overseas university securing a minimum of 55% marks.
• A relaxation of 5% of marks, will be provided to those belonging to SC/ST/OBC(non-creamy layer)/differently-abled category.
The admission to the Ph.D Programs shall be made as per the following criteria:
• 70% weightage – On the basis of performance in the entrance examination conducted by the university
• 30% weightage – Based on performance in personal interview and scholastic achievements
• The NET/JRF qualified candidate with fellowships will be given direct admission to Ph.D. programmes.
The admission test is waived off for candidates who have qualified NET/ UGC/ CSIR or UGC Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship for SC/ST or DBT-BINC or Maulana Azad Fellowship or some other examination recognized by University as equivalent and awarded a Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
These candidates can be admitted any time of the year, on the recommendation of the Admission Committee. NET without JRF qualified candidates will have to take the entrance test
The entrance examination will last for 2 hours. The candidates will be selected on the grounds of their eligibility and their performance in the entrance exam.
In case of a tie, the following criteria shall serve as a Tie-Breaker.
• The first priority shall be given to the candidates with more positive marks in the entrance examination.
• Followed by the ones with less negative marks in the entrance examination.
• Twelfth standard (+ 2) or equivalent exam marks.
• 10th standard or equivalent marks.
• Age (in days)
In cases of ties that remain unresolved after applying the above five criteria, the criteria evolved by the University as deemed fit would be applied for resolution of the tie.
The candidates have to carry the following documents for counseling:
• Xth standard mark-sheet or equivalent
• HSC certificate
• UG and PG degree or provisional certificate
• SC/ST/PH/EWS certificate
• Migration/Transfer certificate
• NOC from the previous/present employer
The candidate must bring a xerox copy of all the above-mentioned documents.
The Ph.D. candidates who are coming for interview should bring/come prepared with
• Two-page Research proposal indicating the topic of proposed research, objectives, methodology and significance.
• A power point presentation (maximum 5 slides) on the topic of the proposed research.
• University has twenty hostels on the campus 13 for boys and 7 for girls.
• Deposit of Rs.3000/- (for Indian nationals) and Rs.6000/- (for foreign nationals) is to be paid while joining the hostels which is refundable.
• Candidate can get full time scholars admitted to Ph.D. programmes of the University, will be eligible for a fellowship of Rs. 8000/- per month and contingencies grant per year
• Candidates who joined the Integrated Ph.D. programme will get monthly stipend of Rs.1000/- for four months and Rs.8000/- per month for the next three years
The application form is to be submitted online through the university website: www.pondiuni.edu.in
• The candidates will be required to apply separately for each course.
• Due care should be taken in filling the application form.
• The candidate must provide his/her personal details.
• Followed by academic qualifications.
• To successfully submit the form the candidate must pay the entrance exam fee amount of INR 600 (INR 300 for SC/ST categories)
• NRI / Overseas candidates can obtain the concerned application form by submitting the application fee of INR 6500 or US$ 100.
• Candidates can pay the application fee through Credit/Debit card or Net Banking.
Defence personnel should apply online. They should, take a print out of the online application form and forward the same through the respective Head Quarters to-
The Assistant Registrar
R.V. Nagar, Kalapet,
Hall Ticket will be uploaded by the University after the closing of online registration. The Entrance Exam will be conducted Online.
Monday to Friday (Between 9.30 am & 5.30 pm)
|Pondicherry University (English, Tamil)|
|Mail - ID|